Digitalisation for sustainability and productivity (1.1.1)

The Joint Action Plan of Biobord Network includes an action related to digitalisation for sustainability and productivity in agriculture, forestry and wildlife management - connecting the latest digitalisation innovations to farming for e.g. improved nutrient management.

The theme was identified as a joint interest area of JAMK University of Applied Sciences, Institute of Bioeconomy (Central Finland), Institute of Environmental Solutions (Vidzeme, Latvia), Inland Norway University of Applied Sciences (Hedmark, Norway) and Foundation for Education and Social Dialogue Pro Civis (Świętokrzyskie, Poland).

Together we plan to explore the potential of RDI cooperation in sensor, automation, robotics and other new technologies for agriculture, forestry and wildlife management.

Our plan is to start from identifying the strengths and resources of each interested region (or partner). We also look for relevant funding channels to initiate activities.

More information coming soon, stay tuned!

Facilitator: @Anna Aalto, JAMK
Involved experts: @halgrim (INN University), @inese (Institute of Environmental Solutions) and @tadeusz (Pro Civis)

JAMK Robotics Center was featured in the Inventors’ week at Viitasaari, Northern Central Finland last week. They won the award for the most interesting exhibition selected with general vote by visitors.

The center is currently running several projects, including RoboCountryside, ‘Robot came to work’ and Robots on road. Unfortunately, most of the material is in Finnish, but we plan to identify and share the competences and potential connections to the Joint Action during the coming months.

https://blogit.jamk.fi/robocountryside/in-english/

Dear @RDI2CluB project partners who are interested in the new technologies,

Institute for Environmental Solutions (IES) and Inland University of Norway ((INN UAS) have started exploring cooperation possibilities in the area of new technologies for monitoring of wildlife and other natural resources. Recently, we had a joint online meeting where IES presented its current research and development activities in the area of new technologies for management of natural resources. Specifically, the presentation introduced how IES is applying airborne remote sensing (thermal and visible light images), camera traps, microphone, GPS collars for developing a data-based approach for counting wild animals and analysing their behavior and Earth Observation data for the analysis of lake ecosystems quality. We are happy to share this presentation with you! Be aware that it is a heavy file as it contains video materials and high resolution images! Enjoy it and let us know if you have an interest to join our discussions, to develop new international collaboration projects or you are interested in applying modern technologies beyond the topics mentioned here!

The link to the presentation - Jakovels - IES INN 20200401.ppsx - Google Drive

7 Likes

Dear Inese,
I hope you and your closest people have stayed safe and healthy. We have been able to avoid the virus, so far. It is just this continuous working at home that raises cottage fever. But now I can say that I have started to walk to work (from bedroom to kitchen).
Thank you for this proposal. Yes, we are interested in joining any correspondence or other activity for looking for joint actions related to those technologies. There something close to this in the extension phase proposal we left for the BSR program couple months ago, I think. Are you looking for some additional activity now?
I forwarded the link to your presentation to some relevant contacts. It is very interesting, but I am afraid they might hesitate to download it due to its size. Do you have any lighter version of the presentation available?
Best regards
Markku

1 Like

Dear @markku,

It’s good to hear that you are safe and healthy, so are we. I agree with you that working from home can be quite daunting and, honestly, I hope that this will end soon. With publishing this information, my intention was two-fold, first, to open this topic for more partners, including new Biobord users who were not involved in the preparation of the proposal for RDI2CluB Extension Phase, and, secondly, to share the work we already do at IES that might spark new ideas for cooperation, knowledge and experience exchange. Unfortunately, we do not have a lighter version of this particular presentation. As a quick solution, I can propose the interested persons to go to our website (www.videsinstituts.lv) and in the news and project sections learn about our activities.

Best regards,
Inese

@Inese
Dear Inese. You were able to attract the Finnish Forest Centre, so that they would be interested in visiting you as soon as we can get rid of these virus bans. Their preliminary remark is that your technology is rather completing, not over-lapping, with their methods. We are also considering to ably your methods here in Central Finland related to some peatland management needs.
Br
Markku

2 Likes

@Inese
Hi, the Finnish Environment Institute utilizes remote sensing methods for environment monitoring. There could be possibilities for some co-operation. I haven’t been in direct contact with them concerning this initiative. Maybe, you can get some picture of what is going on there from here: Satelliittihavainnot - syke.fi

I am sorry, it is in Finnish. Basically it is about open environment data they produce. I can contact them, as well, if you see it useful.

Br
Markku

Hi all - @markku and @Inese
@arnel has also some time ago started a discussion on his ideas in open forum, se Efficient monitoring of lakes in a climate change perspective. I’m just cross connecting these two threads :slight_smile: .

2 Likes